Thursday, March 2, 2017

The BFG by Roald Dahl

This book came to me, highly recommended by Wesley. A passionate reader, Wes loves his weekly trips to the school library and that is where he had found this book last week. He had recently watched the movie and wanted to read the book to compare the two. He was horrified to hear that I had never read it, and I insisted that I fix that before it had to be returned to the library. So fix it, I did.

Somehow, the only Dahl books I had read to this point were the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory books. I loved those, so I'm not sure why I'd never read any of his other works.

The BFG tells the story of Sophie, a young orphan living in England who spies a giant walking through her town one night. He sees her watching him, so to protect himself and all the other giants, he takes her with him to his home. He can't have her telling anyone else about the existence of giants.

As they get to know each other, Sophie discovers that the BFG is the only friendly giant in existence. The others eat humans, and travel to human countries every day to snatch unsuspecting people from their beds. Sophie and the BFG need to come up with a plan to stop those horrible giants. But how can the two of them save the world?

This is a really fun read, and a great story about doing the right thing, even when the odds seem stacked against you. The giant language is a bit annoying to read sometimes, but still fun and in keeping with what you would expect from Dahl.

As an interesting side note, we have read that JK Rowling took words from movies and literature when she was naming characters and places in her Harry Potter books. I found both the words "squib" and "muggle" in this book. I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment