Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

There seems to be a lot of buzz about this book right now so I picked it up a while back with a gift card. It was on every list of the best books of 2016, and was recommended to me by the reading sites I use as something that would interest me.  So, I decided to read it.

Ugh. I did not enjoy this book. Granted, I was reading it during a very busy time for me (getting married and moving and trying to fit two houses into one) so maybe I wasn't in the best frame of mind to read right now. But I'm not sure there would ever be a time in my life when I would enjoy this book.

It is the story of the Plumb family, mainly focused on the eldest child, Leo, but including the stories of his siblings Beatrice, Jack and Melody as well. Their father had set up a trust fund (which they nicknamed "The Nest") for them that ended up growing beyond any of their expectations. There were each due to receive their share when the youngest child, Melody, turned 40. But a few months short of her 40th birthday, Leo was involved in a serious accident and "The Nest" was used as a legal settlement to avoid a big scandal. The rest of the family had been counting on receiving their share of the money soon, and had each gotten themselves into some financial trouble, counting on this money to come to their rescue.

The result of this is a bunch of entitled, unlikable characters. There are very few redeeming qualities in any of them. Beatrice is probably the most likable of them all, but none of them seemed to be all that interested in working for what they needed, everyone was hoping for a huge sum of money to mysteriously fall into their laps. It made it very hard for me to be interested in reading it at all, so it took me months to get through the book. The final third of the book moved along quickly, and I got through that quickly, but it took me months to get through the first two-thirds.

I'm still not sure where all they hype surrounding this book came from, but a lot of people seemed to like it. I am not one of those people!

No comments:

Post a Comment