Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

I am so sad that we are now done the whole Chronicles of Narnia.  We read the end of The Last Battle tonight and now the whole series is done.

I can't say enough about what an amazing experience it was to read these books again with my kids and to see their reactions to the stories that I've loved for so long.  They listened to every detail and loved trying to guess what was going to happen next in each book.  They fell in love with the characters and feel like they've made new Narnian friends.  There were times when they were jumping for joy, cheering, and clapping as we read a new victory for the "good guys".  There were times when they were sad, and even times when we had to think of funny stories before bed because they were scared by what we'd read (the description of Tash in The Last Battle for example).

This final book tells the story of the end of Narnia, after a battle with Shift the Ape and some Calormene soldiers who are trying to take over Narnia.  Shift dresses a donkey up to look like Aslan and so gets all the creatures doing his bidding.  There are only a few who remain loyal to the real Aslan, and Jill and Eustace are pulled in from England to help fight this final battle.

I think the last page of this book is one of my all-time favourite endings in any book I've read.  The last chapter was filled with so many reunions with characters from earlier books that the kids were going out of their minds with excitement.  It was just such a great way to finish the series.

Now I really don't know what to read next.  They just want to go back and start the whole series again, but I want to move onto something new.  I can't convince Wesley to go for Anne of Green Gables (too girly), so I'm trying to find something they'll both enjoy.  I'm thinking of Charlotte's Web.  I'm not a Tolkien fan myself, so I don't really want to do The Hobbit.  I'd appreciate any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment