Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Sense and Sensibilty Manga Edition by Jane Austen and Stacy King

It's no secret that I've not always been a big fan of adaptations/sequels of my favourite books. I hate when the stories and characters are changed from their original forms.

However, I am becoming a big fan of classic stories being told in a new way. Graphic novels are a great way to introduce new readers to these amazing stories. Wesley has recently read graphic novel versions of Frankenstein and Dracula and loved them. Amelia has a graphic novel of Anne of Green Gables and then on a recent trip to the library I stumbled across this version of Sense and Sensibility. Darcy read it first and fell in love with it. After I told her about all the Harry Potter actors who were in the movie she needed to see that right away. We absolutely loved watching that together.

I have now read the book myself and only have great things to say about it. The adaptation is very true to the original story, using the original text in most cases. The art is beautiful and adds a wonderful dimension to the story.

In true manga form this book reads from right to left so that took a bit of getting used to, but I was fine after a page or two. They also include a manga reading lesson at the beginning of the book to help old timers like me.

If you are looking for a new twist on an old favourite, give it a try. We are now waiting in line for Pride and Prejudice in manga form. I hope I love it just as much as I loved this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment