Sunday, April 8, 2018

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Although this is a classic children's book, I had somehow escaped reading it. I know a lot of people love it and with the movie being released I wanted to give it a read.

It's just not my thing. Maybe it's a bit too science-fictiony for me. I just didn't love it. Darcy really wants to see the movie and we'll probably see it at some point, but I don't think I'll go on to read the rest of the series.

This is the story of Meg Murry, a young lady who doesn't seem to fit in. She is bright, but not in a way that does well in school. She doesn't have a lot of friends and is constantly in trouble. Life at home is pretty good with her mom and three brothers. Her dad, however, is a scientist who is doing special work for the government and all communication from him has mysteriously stopped. The family doesn't know where he is or what has happened to him. Everyone in town thinks he has left them but Meg knows that isn't true.

Her youngest brother, Charles Wallace, strikes up a friendship with some ladies who live in a "haunted house" not far from the Murry's house. While visiting the ladies, Meg and Charles Wallace meet Calvin, a popular boy from Meg's school. Meg, Charles Wallace and Calvin suddenly find themselves on an incredible adventure, with the help of Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which, the ladies from the haunted house. Will it lead them to finding Meg's dad? Where has he been all this time? Is he safe? Will they be safe?

I'm not a lover of science fiction and this was too much in that genre for my liking. However I loved the characters. You just want to pick Charles Wallace up and squeeze him. And you are constantly rooting for Meg to see her worth and realize all she can achieve. She is a fantastic female lead character, a great role model for young readers.

While I was reading the book, Darcy and Wesley read the graphic novel version and both loved it. The art is beautiful and much of the story is kept intact. It's a great alternative, but the rest of the series doesn't seem to be released in graphic novel format yet.

As with any classic, I'm glad I've read it. It won't be one I return to over and over, but I'm still glad to have read it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment