Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Names of Dead Girls by Eric Rickstad

There are all kinds of books in the world and all kinds of readers. You win some, you lose some and for me this one was a loss. It has a 3.89/5 rating on Goodreads, so there are clearly people who have liked the book, but I am not one of those people.

This book picked up where The Silent Girls left off. The first book ended with a cliffhanger and I was curious to see what happened so I decided to read the second book. But I felt this one to be too dark for me, teen girls were murdered and as the mother of a teen girl I found that unsettling.

When the first book ends you know that the killer Frank Rath has been seeking is now targeting Frank's daughter, Rachel. Frank rejoins the police force to give him greater access to the killer and better methods of keeping Rachel safe. A former victim of the killer goes missing, another local girl is killed and Frank is contacted by a Canadian detective who is investigating the deaths of 3 girls just outside of Montreal. How does it all fit together?

I found the story dark and disturbing. Many of the grammatical issues that bothered me in the first book had been corrected in the second book, but a few remained. But aside from being disturbing, I just didn't find the story compelling. It was hard for me to be inspired to pick it up to keep reading. But I eventually worked my way to the end. It did not end with a cliffhanger but there are some questions that weren't answered. I guess that leaves room for a third book, but if it comes, I won't be reading it.


No comments:

Post a Comment