Monday, January 26, 2015

The Rosie Effect, by Graeme Simsion

Meh.  I expected to like this book a lot more than I did.  When I read The Rosie Project I loved the character of Don Tillman and couldn't get enough of the book.  I loved the story of how the man who has Asberger's but doesn't know it falls in love and marries a woman who is the opposite of his expectations.

Naturally I was excited when I heard there was going to be a sequel.  Fantastic!

In this book, Don and Rosie have moved from Melbourne to New York City.  Once there, Rosie discovers she is pregnant.  The rest of the book follows their preparations for parenthood, along with the challenges that change presents to their still fairly new marriage.

I just felt like Rosie had a complete personality shift in this book.  In the first book, she seemed to really understand Don and the quirks that make him "not average".  But in this book there are many situations where it seems she is expecting him to change who he is.  I don't think the Rosie we met in the first book would do that.  As a result their marriage hits a crisis point.

Maybe it's just that I'm still not interested in reading about marriages in trouble.  Hard to say.  But I don't think that's it.  I just found her pretty unlikeable in this book.

Don still has some laugh out loud moments, and learns some great things about himself.  Some of the situations are more than a little far-fetched and then resolved too easily.  But it's a light read, it can be read quickly and might make you laugh at the end of a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment